Power-punching Argentinean Lucas Matthysse gave www.leave-it-in-the-ring.com an exclusive interview just days before his scheduled World Boxing Organization junior welterweight title eliminator against former World Boxing Council and International Boxing Federation world champion Devon Alexander (21-1-0, 13 KOs). The twelve-round battle for junior welterweight supremacy headlines a loaded HBO Boxing After Dark card this Saturday night that also features Tavoris Cloud (22-0-0, 18 KOs) defending his International Boxing Federation light heavyweight strap against Yusaf Mack (29-3-2, 17 KOs) and Cornelius Bundrage (30-4-0, 18 KOs) defending his International Boxing Federation middleweight title against Sechew Powell (26-2-0, 15 KOs).
Just one fight removed from suffering his first professional loss, Lucas Matthysse is mentally focused and prepared for anything Devon Alexander brings come fight night. Read more
Last year he won honors from the Boxing Writer’s Association of America as the fighter of the year (an award that many thought Manny Pacquiao would win), and knockout of the year by nailing Paul Williams to the canvas in devastating fashion in the second round of their rematch last November.
Martinez, 36, was introduced to boxing at the age of 20 by his uncle, Ruben, and had 41 amateur fights before turning pro.
At the age of 25, a doctor told him he would no longer be able to fight as a boxer because of the middle knuckle on his left hand that he had broken. He proved the doctor wrong and continued to box for four years with a broken hand. Martinez has since stated that he continued fighting because he was very poor and wanted to continue making a living as a boxer.
MIDDLETOWN — A boxing champion is reaching out to a bullied Middletown teen, inviting her to join him as his guest at an upcoming fight.
Monique McClain, a seventh-grader at Woodrow Wilson Middle School, will join middleweight boxer Sergio Martinez at Foxwoods Casino on Thursday, meeting the fighter and then being his special guest at the weigh-in.
McClain left school in January after months of harassment from other students. Her mother, Alycia, and grandmother, Alexa, say the school system hasn’t done enough to protect her.
McClain’s boxing coach, Johnny Callas, set up the event and said he and McClain are excited for the opportunity. A social worker, Callas coaches boxing to Monique and two dozen other Middletown children in the Champions of Life program at the Lion’s Den. The program teaches at-risk Middletown youth about life skills and personal development, as well as boxing.
“I was thrilled that I could pull this off as a coach,” Callas said.
Middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (46-2-2, 25 KOs) of Oxnard, CA, by way of Quilmes, Argentina arrived in Connecticut, having departed after his final day of training camp at the World Crown Sports Training Center in Port Hueneme, CA on Sunday, for his showdown with undefeated junior middleweight champion Sergiy Dzinziruk (37-0, 23 KOs) of Ukraine which takes place this Saturday, March 12th at the MGM Grand Arena at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, Connecticut for the vacant WBC Diamond middleweight title which will be shown live on HBO’s ‘World Championship Boxing’.
“None of my fights or opponents have been easy and I know this fight won’t be an easy fight,” said middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. “I know Dzinziruk is coming to fight but I have no doubt in my mind I will win this Saturday and win impressively and that’s by knockout. Like I’ve said before I want to be recognized as the best pound for pound fighter this year and in order to do that I have to put on a great performance which is what I plan to do,” continued Martinez.
Accompanying Martinez is long time trainer and 2010’s ‘Trainer of the Year’ Gabriel Sarmiento as well as stable mates welterweight Abraham Lopez (1-1) of Oxnard, CA and unbeaten Dominican super featherweight Javier “El Abejon” Fortuna (13-0, 10 KOs) who will be featured on the undercard, in separate bouts.
Photos and report by Ricardo Conde at fightnews.com
WBC ” Night of Champions” Awards Banquet
Photos and report by Boxing Bob Newman
The second installment of the WBC Night Of Champions wrapped up tonight at the Cardiff International Arena with a gala awards banquet. Medallions and plaques were given to every champion on hand. The European Boxing Union headed by Bob Logist of Belgium awarded Frank Maloney as Promoter of the year and his charge Rendall Munroe as fighter of the year. Finally, several WBC awards were given out or being the best of the year in several categories:
Female fighter of the year: Ina Menzer
Knockout of the year: Toshiaki Nishioka TKO3 Jhonny Gonzalez
(honorable mention): Carl Froch TKO12 Jermain taylor
Fight of the Year: Giacobbe Fragomeni D12 Kzrysztof Wlodarczyk I
Fighters of the Year: Vitali Klitschko & Sergio Martinez
The trophies were gold plated casts of Mike Tyson’s fist.
WBC President Jose Sulaiman sent a moving video message to all the gathered participants from Mexico. Sulaiman is recovering for the past month from knee replacement surgery on his left knee and was unable to make the trip to Cardiff.
Earlier in the evening at the Hilton Hotel, WBC Super Featherweight champ Toshiaki Nishioka finally squared off face-to-face against his mandatory challenger Rendall Munroe. The two will meet for real in the ring on October 24, at Kokugikan Sumo Arena, Tokyo Japan. The European champion Munroe is (21-1, 9 KOs), is on an eleven fight win streak, while Nishioka will be making the fifth defense of the WBC belt, with all four previously coming by stoppage. Nishioka is (36-4-3, 23 KOs).
Courtesy of Fanhouse.com
Argentinian-born southpaw Sergio Martinez, who dethroned WBO and WBC middleweight (160 pounds) champion, Kelly Pavlik last month, has been stripped of the WBO belt by the organization, according to his interpreter, Cicilio Flores.
The news was first reported by Rick Reeno of BoxingScene.com
A 35-year-old resident of California, by way of Spain, Martinez (45-2-2, 24 knockouts) was informed that the WBO’s ruling was rendered because he has yet to make a final decision as to whether or not he plans to stay at middleweight.
Martinez also owns the WBC crown as a junior middleweight (154 pounds), and has been notified that he has 10 days to appeal the ruling.
“I’m very surprised by the decision that was made by the WBO. I wish that I had more time to make a decision,” said Martinez, through a statement. “I’m very grateful that I was able to win the title and that I was recognized by the WBO. I would rather lose the title in the ring, and not like this. It has been an honor to be their champion.”
In dropping Pavlik to 36-2, with 32 knockouts, Martinez made himself a potential candidate for lucrative bouts against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) should a bout not happen for Mayweather against WBO welterweight (147 pounds) titlist, Manny Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 KOs).
Other potential options for Martinez includes bouts opposite junior middleweight southpaw Paul Williams (38-1, 27 KOs), to whom he lost a disputed, 12-round decision in December, or former world champion, Antonio Margarito (38-6, 27 KOs), who knocked out Martinez in the seventh round in February of 2000.
By Ryan Burton
Courtesy of BoxingScene.com
Former Contender series contestant Alfonso Gomez talks to BoxingScene.com about his July 17th ring return, retiring another legend in Jose Luis Castillo (although there are rumblings that Castillo will lace up the gloves again), his music career and more in this Boxingscene exclusive interview.
BoxingScene.com: It has been a while since we have talked. What is new with you?
Alfonso Gomez: Nothing much. I just came back to training camp here in Oxnard, California. After I defeated Castillo I took about a month off and we just enjoyed ourselves. I was making music and stuff like that. I am back in training camp because apparently I am going to be fighting someone on July 17th. I don’t know who and I t know where.
BoxingScene.com: Lets get off the boxing topic for a minute. Did you say you were making music?
Alfonso Gomez: I have been making music for I don’t know, twelve years already. I started my group called H3 Hy3rid. That is the group’s name about seven years ago. I have a music studio at home and all that good stuff.
BoxingScene.com: What kind of music do you make?
Alfonso Gomez: It is Spanish hip hop. It is hip hop in español and a little rock in español, word play and all that stuff.
BoxingScene.com: Back to boxing. You said July 17th is the date you will be back and you don’t know who you will be fighting or where. Have any names been mentioned?
Alfonso Gomez: I don’t know who, what or where. I have already started camp and started sparring and doing conditioning work and all that stuff. As soon as I know who is the opponent we will figure out a good game plan for that person and execute it.
BoxingScene.com: Have any names been thrown out there?
Alfonso Gomez: Well they haven’t really any names. The name of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez came up and David Estrada has been pursuing a fight with me but nothing is in concrete. I know I can beat them both.
BoxingScene.com: In your last fight you retired another legend in Castillo. How do you grade that performance?
Alfonso Gomez: I give myself maybe a B+ even though my conditioning coach gave me an A-. I give myself a B+ because I think I did great. I used my distance and I followed the game plan. There are flaws always like bending my knees and keeping my hands up. In general I think I did good. I trained very hard for that fight. I made weight perfectly. I came in at 145. I felt strong. I felt much stronger than Castillo and I am sure he felt it too because the rounds where I started pushing it more was the round he stopped.
BoxingScene.com: After July how many more fights do you think you will get in this year?
Alfonso Gomez: I hope I can get one or two more, maybe three.
BoxingScene.com: When do you think you will be ready for another world title shot?
Alfonso Gomez: I am ready to go already I think time flies real quick. I am not getting any younger. I feel that my technique and conditioning have improved. I have acquired a great team here in Calfiornia with my father as chief trainer and Robert Garcia has been helping us a lot. We are training at World Crown Sports Boxing which has helped my conditioning and improved my strength and speed and balance a lot. I have a great team and I have fought tremendous fighters like Jose Luis Castillo, Miguel Cotto, Arturo Gatti, Ben Tackie, Peter Manfredo and Jesse Brinkley. We are talking about guys that are champions or were champions or who fought for championships so in reality I am ready to go. I am ready to step up to bigger challenges. Hopefully I get to step up in my fight on July 17th or in my next one. Hopefully someone like Saul Alvarez. I would love to fight Marcos Maidana who is a 140 pounder. I am willing to push it down that far or he can come up in weight. I am looking for big names and big opportunities. I am ready to go baby.
BoxingScene.com: You mentioned fighting Miguel Cotto. He has a fight coming up against Yuri Foreman. He is moving up in weight. Do you see him winning that fight?
Alfonso Gomez: That is a great challenge for him. If he wins he will be a three weight division champion. That is definitely an accomplishment that not every boxer gets to achieve. In reality I wish him all the luck in the world and hopefully in the future he can give me that rematch that I feel he still owes me (laughing).
BoxingScene.com: Do you have a message for the fans?
Alfonso Gomez: All in all I want to say I train hard to give my best performances. I am coming out this year strong in the fight scene and music scene. I am going to try to be more out there. I have been kind of hiding in the background and I am going to out there in the world and show everybody that in urban Spanish rap I am the best and there is no doubt about it. You can check out my groups music at hy3rib.com or look up some of our videos on youtube.
Martinez (45-2-2, 24 KO) won on scores of 115-111, 116-111 and 115-112. Bad Left Hook scored it 115-112 for Martinez.
It was a terrific tactical fight, with some great back-and-forth momentum. Martinez dominated the early portion of the fight, but Pavlik (36-2, 32 KO) charged back in the middle rounds, knocking down Martinez and taking a lead on our card through eight rounds.
But then, it was the Sergio Martinez show. Martinez cut Pavlik up, had him bleeding profusely, and took the fight for the rest of the time left, winning what I felt was a clear and solid decision.
Pavlik showed a lot of guts tonight, and so did Martinez. Pavlik has a rematch clause, and I’d expect they’ll do this again. The fight was definitely good enough to deserve a rematch. Kelly Pavlik fought through blood, managed to turn the tide of the fight, and just got beaten in the end. It was a damn good fight, I thought, and one worthy of the hype.
All congratulations to Sergio Martinez, the new legitimate middleweight champion of the world.
On the Atlantic City undercard, Mike Jones, Matt Korobov and Ronald Hearns all won. Hearns landed some right hands on Delray Raines that were worthy of his family name.
From Montreal in the co-feature, Lucian Bute knocked out Edison Miranda in the third round. Miranda had been doing fairly well and got cocky. After making a big show of his not feeling Bute’s punches, Bute immediately stopped him with a gorgeous left uppercut.
The times changed tonight, folks. New middleweight champion of the world: Sergio Martinez. But don’t discredit Kelly Pavlik, who made no excuses afterward and fought his heart out. Both were a credit to the sport tonight.
courtesy of badlefthook.com